Flexial Corporation - Design Engineer Job Description
Summary of position:
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Design Engineer Engineering, Quality and Customer support to the design and analysis of bellows assemblies, bellows related product and support process and equipment. Work in a continuous improvement environment to solve problems, implement corrective action and value engineer existing product or processes.
Essential Job Functions:
Skills and Abilities:
- Participate in engineering weekly and/or kick off meetings identifying engineering activities and resources required to complete design inputs checklist, design and tooling package, analysis, reports and required reviews for assigned programs. Maintain weekly updates with Engineering Director and Program Management to provide status and identify issues with resources and schedule deliveries.Establish and maintain a safe working environment in accordance with corporate policy.
- Generate preliminary bellows analysis, assembly detail, process definition and tooling information in support of the quote process.
- Review each Program / Design for the appropriate selection of materials and treatments to meet the requirements and cost objectives.
- Perform preliminary stress and fatigue analysis on assembly structures, bellows, bellows assemblies and bellows related product using internal calculations, Solidworks, ANSYS or other software for design verification. Coordinate concurrent design and FEA activities with structures engineering to achieve optimized designs.
- Generate detail component and assembly drawings for bellows, bellows related products and tooling. Proficient in GD&T for assembly interfaces and tolerance stack-ups.
- Identify key processes and material requirements for input to operations and bill of material for ERP database for bellows, bellows related components and tooling as required.
- Document and maintain engineering changes.
- Generate detailed designs and process definition for product tooling, prototyping, testing, and production processes as required.
- Prepare and support internal and external Design Reviews according to internal and customer requirements.
- Document and maintain engineering changes.
- Assist manufacturing personnel in resolving issues relative to product designs, product functionality, materials, tooling and production processes that may adversely affect quality utilizing continuous improvement techniques.
- Coordinate engineering activities with quality, manufacturing, sales and program as required.
- Assist Quality and MIS department in system development relating to engineering document and data control.
- Support Flexial’s Document Change Request (DCR) and Improvement Request (“IR”) Continuous Improvement initiatives.
- Establish and maintain contact with professional societies and educational institutions by review of technical publications, articles and abstracts to stay abreast of pertinent technical developments.
- Must have technical writing skills and be able to communicate, get along and work well with other employees.
- Must comply with the rules and regulations mandated under the following quality and governmental standards: ISO 9000, AS 9100, ITAR and ISO 14001.
- Establish and maintain a safe working environment in accordance with corporate policy and OSHA standards.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Being at work every day and coming to work on-time is required.
- Ability to pass an annual Eye Exam per QP400
- Proficient in utilizing and applying Microsoft Office Products; Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical specifications, common business documents, and industry publications. Ability to respond effectively to inquires or complaints from manufacturing personnel. Ability to write reports or procedures; and effectively present information to management, customers, vendors and employees.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, statistical inferences and complex equations relating to stress/strain, physics, dynamics, kinematics, fluid mechanics and other related engineering principles. Vibration experience is a plus.
- Ability to work with principles of logical or scientific thinking to a limited range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.) in its basic form. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; sit, talk and hear, stand, use hands; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. Physical requirements are the ability to lift up to 25 pounds continuously, 50 pounds occasionally, or up to 100 pounds, with assistance. Vision requirements include ability to adjust focus, depth perception, peripheral, distance, color and close vision.
- Must possess basic personal computer skills including a working knowledge of 3-D modeling and finite element software. Knowledge of ERP systems is desired.
- Must have 5 years minimum experience in 3-D modeling software and preferred 2 years in finite element software.
- Must have Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- 4 years of experience in the design and analysis of edge welded bellows or eight (8) years of experience in the design and analysis of similar fluid control or mechanical product using similar design methodology.
- Experience in the aerospace industry is a significant plus.
Interested candidates may submit their resume and salary requirements for consideration.